I’m resurrecting my Aufschnitt series, which I started back in 2019. The original idea was to immortalise cuttings I’d held onto, so I could chuck them out with a clear conscience.
So the two sausagey series are:
Retrowurst: my own scribblings, anything directly related to my own rather bedraggled career
Aufschnitt: cuttings and found bits and pieces from others
Today’s cold cut is an unusual one because it dates back before I entered the world of work. I was still at school. It’s from my dad’s bits and bobs - he was an RAF officer, in case you don’t know.
I guessed this was from late 60s to early 80s (from the typeface and what I know of my dad’s career). ChatGPT narrowed it down to 1973 - 1979, which seems plausible.
This was known as FALA and was used in officer training. I have to say that I like the approach and it’s not completely out of order for leadership training today. In fact, many commercial operations talk far more about “Leadership” these days than “Management.”
Looking at leadership on three overlapping areas - Task - Team - Individual - seems a pretty nifty way of doing things. The conciseness is great - all on a postcard, cutting down on bumf and BS in a very military manner.
But, to 21st century eyes, two things are very odd.
“Discipline: Insisting on obedience, Punishing.” I wonder if this still appears in the military context.
And:
No mention of “mental health and well-being” in the “Personal (Problems)” section.
I think I’ll hang onto this one for the time being.

No comments:
Post a Comment