Tuesday 25 January 2022

Government Health Warning

 


I’m not sure, any more, if I can remember cigarette packets or advertising without a Government Health Warning attached.Ssuch things are now confined to the annals of nostalgic ephemera, preserved for posterity in, for example, Peter Ashley’s marvellous publications (see above).

I’m certainly getting used to warnings on bottles of booze about this or that and drinking responsibly, and to traffic lights on food (the subversive part of me is keen to buy those with Ds and Es and red lights, as they’re likely to taste better - treat me like a child, and I’ll behave like (a naughty) one). 

And, if I was French, I’d have to start getting used to this sort of stuff on car ads, too. From March, under a new law, car ads in France will have to carry environmental warnings advising potential car-buyers (and, I suppose, anyone seeing the ads) to consider alternatives: “think about carpooling” or “for short journeys, walking or bicycling is preferable.” Weirdly enough, these same warnings will be on ads for electric cars, too, according to the article I read in The Times.

I expect a lot of this will fall on deaf ears. Those that feel vaguely guilty and are receptive to the message may take note, but the overgrown boy-racers about to splurge on their next revving, powerful, polluting beastie won’t pay the least attention.

I’ve always felt that making the alternatives more attractive is the best way to change behaviour rather than ticking people off. I quite like this ad from Heineken for the 0.0 “Cheers with no alcohol” beer. Nicely put together, and there’s a real insight there - sadly missing from so much current advertising.

Or - and now I have a chance to wallow in some Saatchi & Saatchi nostalgia from the last century: one of the best ads they ever did. 


 Credit: The Advertising Archives

Who remembers this one? It’s Relaxby Saatchi & Saatchi, directed by Tony Kaye, from the late 1980s, for Intercity.

Simply glorious - who needs a car?


No comments: